I’m sure a lot of you are aware of Boko Haram and the havoc they are causing in the Northern part of Nigeria. But how much do you really know about this group of individuals? Did you know the group was founded in 2001? Or that “Boko Haram” means “Western education is forbidden?”. I believe awareness is the first step towards progress so lets get Smart on Boko Haram.
- Official Arabic name, Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad, means “People Committed to the Propagation of the Prophet’s Teachings and Jihad”
- Initially focused on opposing Western education
- Nicknamed Boko Haram, a phrase in the local Hausa language meaning, “Western education is forbidden”
- Launches military operations in 2009 to create an Islamic state across Nigeria
- Founding leader Mohammed Yusuf killed in same year in police custody
- Succeeded by Abubakar Shekau, who is said to be well-versed in theology
- Suspected to have split into rival factions in 2012
And then, I checked my darling friend, Wikipedia, and found this information as well.
- The group seeks to “purify Islam” and is known for using motorbikes as its primary mode of travel
- Since its founding in 2001, the jihadist terrorists have been responsible for roughly 10,000 deaths comprising mostly innocent people
- The group has spawned an off-shoot known as Ansaru
- The group exerts influence in the States of Borno, Adamawa, Kaduna, Bauchi,Yobe and Kano.
- The United States Department of State offered a $7 million reward for Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau’s capture
- Quote from Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, “I enjoy killing anyone that God commands me to kill – the way I enjoy killing chickens and rams,” – said in a video clip released just after Boko Haram had carried out its deadliest attack in January 2012, killing more than 180 people in Kano, northern Nigeria’s largest city
Click here for more information from wiki.
Now you know 1 or 2 new things about Boko Haram. 🙂
Take our poll & use the comment box below to share your thoughts on Boko Haram and perhaps educate the rest of us a little (something meaningful might just come out of this conversation, you never know)…